Tilesets

Request help for teeworlds-related subjects (mapping, servers, ..).
For client issues, see our repositories (https://github.com/ddnet/ddnet/issues).
Index
Clan: Eagle

Re: Tilesets

Post by Index »

Hey,
first of all, your ideas are quite nice FakeDeath. Nevertheless I have some doubts as to whether they are realizable and/or useful.
Realistic tilesets, yeah those are really rare in teeworlds. As far as I can remember I've never seen such an overly detailed map. But I think that's not only because it's really time-consuming and fps-killing but also because this realistic style doesn't fit to the overall graphic style of teeworlds. In my opinion tw is a simple 2d game with schematic tilesets and maybe some nice envelopes. I mean, even the skins are mostly just simple graphics without photorealistic elements. So all in all, I would play a map with so many details but I don't think that there should be more than one or two maps with such high detailed tilesets.
Next thing are 3d tilesets. Hmm, I know what you mean and I can imagine a map with that feature, but again it's really time-consuming and as you already said only a few players can really play the map, for all the others without the possibility to view the 3d effects with a special glass it would be just annyoing (imo). So yeah, nice idea as well but also not a great thing to do.
Ok, so last thing is the moving tileset. I think that's the best idea and the fact that there are already quite a few maps that have those 'animations' shows that this is doable and also playable for most of the players (If the framerate should drop for someone, he can easily disable HD and play with just one visible layer for example). So, I quickly played the map AntNest and I have to say that I love it. It's so good and although it's a really simple map concerning the gameplay I enjoyed walking around. I don't really how the effects there were archieved (didn't have time to view the map in editor) but I think that there should be definitely some maps with those 'animations' in the future. About the other two examples (Saavik's Move and your walk-test): Well, Saaviks map is quite nice and if that idea is converted into a nice map with more layers and details then it should be as good as AntNest. So that's the right way. But to be honest, I don't know what you did with walk_test (again, I didn't view the map in editor yet) but that's kinda weird, it seems like you move like ten times faster and jump super high without any tunes :o I mean, wtf. I'll deifintely take a look at this map later in the editor, because somehow that's completely mindblowing. There are so many stunning things you can achieve with just tilesets. It's amazing and I'm looking forward to see some of the ideas in a real map and maybe some other ideas as well in the future.
imp
Player profile: http://ddnet.tw/players/imp/
Mapper profile: http://ddnet.tw/mappers/imp/

Re: Tilesets

Post by imp »

The promlems are that you can only use clipping for the whole group and also only rectangles. And moving entities will never exist (at least that's what i think).